Notice of Privacy Practices
First Choice Next is committed to complying with all applicable requirements under federal and state law and regulations pertaining to member privacy and confidentiality rights.
When it comes to your health information, you have certain rights.
You have the right to:
- Get a copy of your health and claims records.
- You can ask to see or get a copy of your health and claims records and other health information we have about you. Ask us how to do this.
- We will provide a copy or a summary of your health and claims records, usually within 30 days of your request.
- Ask us to correct health and claims records.
- You can ask us to correct your health and claims records if you think they are incorrect or incomplete. Ask us how to do this.
- We may say “no” to your request, but we’ll tell you why we refused your request in writing within 60 days.
- Request confidential communication.
- You can ask us to contact you in a specific way (for example, by home or office phone) or to send mail to a different address.
- We will consider all reasonable requests, and we must say “yes” if you tell us you would be in danger if we did not grant your request.
- Ask us to limit the information we share.
- You can ask us not to use or share certain health information for treatment, payment, or our operations.
- We are not required to agree to your request, and we may say “no” if agreeing to your request would affect your care.
- Get a list of those with whom we’ve shared your information.
- You can ask for a list (called an “accounting”) of the times we’ve shared your health information for six years prior to the date you ask, who we shared it with, and why.
- We will include all the disclosures except for those about treatment, payment and health care operations, and certain other disclosures (such as any you asked us to make).
- Get a copy of this privacy notice.
- You can ask for a paper copy of this notice at any time, even if you have agreed to receive the notice electronically. We will provide you a paper copy promptly.
- Choose someone to act for you.
- If you have given someone medical power of attorney or if someone is your legal guardian, that person can act for you and your rights and make choices about your health information.
- We will make sure the person has this authority and can act for you before we take any action.
- File a complaint if you believe your privacy rights have been violated.
You can complain if you feel we have violated your rights. Call Member Services at 1-833-983-7272 (TTY 711), Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET.
You can file a complaint with:
- The South Carolina Department of Insurance by calling 1-803-737-6180. You can also file a complaint online on the South Carolina Department of Insurance website.
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Civil Rights, by calling 1-877-696-6775. You can also mail a complaint via letter to 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, DC 20201, or file a complaint online with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights website.
We will not retaliate against you for filing a complaint.
Online and Mobile Communication Privacy Notice
Effective date: 1/1/22
First Choice Next (“First Choice Next”) is committed to maintaining the privacy and security of the personal information of its plan members (“Enrollees”), mobile application and/or portal users (“Users”), and website visitors (“Visitors”).
In this Privacy Notice, we refer to Members, Users, and Visitors together as "Participants.” We appreciate that medical information is particularly sensitive.
This Online and Mobile Communication Privacy Notice details the information gathering and dissemination practices of First Choice Next with respect to its:
- (i) corporate website (www.amerihealthcaritas.com) and the websites of its affiliated health plans and companies as listed on the First Choice Next Family of Companies’ page on its corporate website (www.amerihealthcaritas.com/our-story/our-national-footprint.aspx) (the “First Choice Next Websites”),
- (ii) the First Choice Next member portals (the “First Choice Next Member Portals”),
- (iii) First Choice Next’s mobile applications for its affiliated health plans and companies (“First Choice Next Apps or First Choice Next Applications”) and
- (iv) any of First Choice Next’s text messaging features offered to Users, collectively the “First Choice Next Online and Mobile Communication Services.”
For a summary of First Choice Next’s privacy obligations as a health plan under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA”), please see our HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices (PDF) for the particular health plan or company found on the applicable First Choice Next Website, First Choice Next Member Portal, or First Choice Next Application.
Providing personal information for the purposes of seeking health insurance coverage/enrollment is a voluntary submission of PII under the applicable law. However, if you do not provide all of the requested personal information, we may not be able to process your application or verify your eligibility.
1. Acceptance of Privacy Notice
By using First Choice Next Online and Mobile Communication Services, you agree to accept the terms and conditions set forth in this Privacy Notice. If you do not agree to the terms and conditions of this Privacy Notice, please do not use the First Choice Next Online and Mobile Communication Services. Your continued use of First Choice Next Online and Mobile Communication Services following the posting of any changes or updates to these terms and conditions will mean that you accept those changes.
2. Collection of Personal Information from the First Choice Next Online and Mobile Communication Services
Through the First Choice Next Online and Mobile Communication Services, First Choice Next, and/or its Third-Party business partners may collect and/or track:
(1) the home server domain names, email addresses, type of computer or mobile device used, IP address, files downloaded, search engine used, operating system employed, mobile device telephone number, and type of web browser of online or mobile Participants;
(2) the email addresses of a Participant who communicates with First Choice Next via email;
(3) information knowingly provided by a Participant in online forms, registration forms, surveys, email, text messages, contest entries, and other online or mobile avenues (including demographic and personal profile information); and
(4) aggregate and user-specific information on which webpages or application features the Participant accesses.
To better serve Participants to the First Choice Next Websites and the Member Portals, First Choice Next may use "cookies" to enhance a visitor's browsing experience. Cookies are simple text files stored by a user's browser that provide a way to distinguish among Participants. The cookies placed on a Participant's computer by using a First Choice Next Website or a Member Portal do not contain personally identifiable information. A Participant can refuse a cookie or delete the cookies file from his or her computer at any time by using any one of a number of widely available methods.
When a Participant performs a search within a First Choice Next Online and Mobile Communication Service, First Choice Next may record information identifying the Participant or linking the Participant to the search performed. First Choice Next may also record limited information for every search request and may then use that information to solve any technical problems with the applicable First Choice Next Online and Mobile Communication Service and to calculate overall usage statistics.
First Choice Next may collect certain information about Participants that is either in aggregate form or not personally identifiable, such as aggregate information about First Choice Next Online and Mobile Communication Services usage, and First Choice Next may share such de-identified information with third parties.
3. Collection of Other Personal Information from the First Choice Next Apps and/or Member Portals
Through the First Choice Next Apps or First Choice Next Member Portals, First Choice Next may collect personal information provided by a Member, such as medication information supplied through the “Medicine Cabinet” feature, personal information contained in questions submitted through the “Contact Us” feature, health information or medical history information supplied via text message or demographic information supplied when you change your “Profile and Settings."
4. Use of Personal Information Collected
Personal information collected by First Choice Next may be used by First Choice Next for many purposes, including editorial and feedback; statistical analysis of Participants' usage; product development; content improvement; and/or customization of the content and layout of the First Choice Next Online and Mobile Communication Services.
Aggregate information on Participants' home servers may be used for internal purposes or provided to third parties. Individually identifiable information, such as names, postal and email addresses, phone numbers, and other personal information that Participants voluntarily provide to First Choice Next, may be added to First Choice Next's databases and/or used for future calls and mailings regarding First Choice Next Online and Mobile Communication Services updates, new products and services, upcoming events, and for other purposes in accordance with state and federal law.
5. Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties
- Members/Users. For Members and/or Users using the First Choice Next Online and Mobile Communication Services, First Choice Next will only use and disclose personal information as permitted by applicable laws, and as described in our HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices (PDF) for the particular health plan or company found on the applicable First Choice Next Website, First Choice Next Member Portal, or First Choice Next Application.
- Visitors. For Visitors to a First Choice Next Website who have not identified themselves as Members, First Choice Next will not sell, rent, license, or trade your personal information with third parties for their own direct marketing use unless we receive your express consent to do so. Unless you give us permission to do so, First Choice Next will not share the personal information of Visitors other than as specified in this Privacy Notice. First Choice Next may share your personal information under confidentiality agreements with other companies that work with, or on behalf of, First Choice Next to provide products and services, such as a vendor that helps us collect information on how you use the First Choice Next Websites. These companies may use your personal information to assist First Choice Next in its operations. However, these companies do not have any independent right to share this information. We may provide information about Visitors to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process or governmental regulations, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims. We believe it is necessary to share information in order to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, or as otherwise required by law.
6. Link Disclaimer
First Choice Next may occasionally provide links to other entities' websites for convenience to the Participants in locating health-related information, services, and products. When you link to other websites, please remember that you are leaving First Choice Next's website, and these other websites are maintained by organizations that First Choice Next does not control.
7. Security Measures
First Choice Next has implemented numerous security features to prevent the unauthorized release of, or access to, personal information, including the measures it has adopted in running its health plans and other lines of business pursuant to HIPAA security requirements. For example, all First Choice Next employees are required to certify their understanding that personal information is considered confidential, that it is important to safeguard personal information, and that First Choice Next will take appropriate action against any employee who fails to adhere to our privacy standards.
Please be advised, however, that the confidentiality of any communication or material transmitted to or from First Choice Next through a First Choice Next Online and Mobile Communication Service, email, or text cannot be guaranteed. Accordingly, First Choice Next is not responsible for the security of information transmitted through the Internet. For more private communications, including communications pertaining to medical or health information, Participants who have health coverage through or administered by First Choice Next can contact First Choice Next at the phone number listed on their member identification card.
8. Opt-Out Right
Visitors who are not Members may opt out of having their personal information retained by First Choice Next by contacting First Choice Next through regular mail or telephone at the addresses provided in Section 14 below. This opt-out right does not apply to collection or public traffic information such as the type of web browser that you use to access a First Choice Next Website, your geolocation, or your operating system.
9. Access to and Ability to Correct Personal Information
Upon request by regular mail or phone, First Choice Next will provide to any Visitor a summary of any personal information retained by First Choice Next regarding the Visitor. Visitors may modify, correct, change, or update personal information First Choice Next has collected through a First Choice Next Online and Mobile Communication Service by contacting First Choice Next by regular mail or telephone at the addresses provided in Section 14 below.
The rights of Members to access and correct their personal information maintained by First Choice Next is governed by our HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices (PDF) for the particular health plan or company found on the applicable First Choice Next Website, First Choice Next Portal, or First Choice Next Application.
10. Collection of Personal Information from Children
First Choice Next understands the importance of protecting children's privacy in the interactive online world. The First Choice Next Online and Mobile Communication Services, including the First Choice Next Websites, First Choice Next Member Portals, and the First Choice Next Apps, are not designed for, or intentionally targeted at, children under 13 years of age.
It is not our policy to intentionally collect information about anyone under the age of 13. No one under the age of 13 should submit any personal information to First Choice Next through a First Choice Next Website, a First Choice Next Member Portal, and/or a First Choice Next App.
11. Response to “Do Not Track” Signals
Some Internet browsers include the ability to transmit “Do Not Track” signals. Since uniform standards for “Do Not Track” signals have not yet been adopted, the First Choice Next Online and Mobile Communication Services do not process or respond to “Do Not Track” signals.
12. Your Role in Protecting Your Privacy
13. Privacy Notice Changes
This First Choice Next Online and Mobile Privacy Notice may be revised from time to time as we add new features and services, as laws change, and as industry privacy and security best practices evolve. We display an effective date on the notice at the top of this Privacy Notice so that it will be easier for you to know when there has been a change.
If we make any change to this Privacy Notice regarding use or disclosure of personal information, we will provide appropriate advance notice through the First Choice Next Online and Mobile Communication Services. Small changes or changes that do not significantly affect individual privacy interests may be made at any time and without prior notice.
If you have any questions or concerns about this Privacy Notice or about First Choice Next’s handling of your personal information, please contact us by mail at P.O. Box 7386, London, KY 40742-7386, Attn: Member Services, by telephone at 1-833-983-7272 (TTY 711), or via email through our secure email submission form.